Friday, December 30, 2011

BOOTCAMPER OF THE YEAR NOMINEES 2011


8. CARRIE THERRIAULT

1. How long have you been coming to PhysicallyFit?

I started working out at PhysicallyFit in August 2009.

2. What were your goals when you started?

I didn’t have a set goal for myself when I came to PF. I was interested in trying something new after working out at the same local gym for several years.

3. What results have you seen in yourself? What have others seen?

If I was asked this question a year ago I would have probably rattled off answers related to weight loss or a smaller jean size. In looking back at my first year at PF I was focused solely on what I looked like, and how the workouts were affecting my weight and body.

Over the last year the changes that I have experienced have been more related to personal growth than physical change. And while I don’t recall exactly when the shift occurred, at some point I decided it was time to raise the bar, challenge myself and for the first time set a fitness goal. So I did, I set a goal and shared it with no one. If I said it out loud there might be real accountability involved!! ;-). And so it began...

The feeling of pushing beyond what I thought I could do was…...well…. I still don’t really have the right words for it. The reward of getting that hard to describe feeling became the motivator. For those of you smiling to yourself because you’ve experienced it, you know it’s pretty damn awesome and few things rival it. Pushing past my limits, holding myself accountable for my own progress translated to a confidence that I didn’t own prior to coming to PF. Who would have thought that setting a goal and going after it could be so powerful! ☺

The personal growth that has resulted from my work at PF and its influence in my life is the ultimate result. And while it’s not a result that can be seen, I think a few have noticed. All that being said, it doesn’t suck that along the way I lost a few pounds, got stronger, healthier, and met some amazing people.

4. What is your biggest motivator?

It goes without saying that my family and friends are a constant inspiration for me to be the best version of me that I can be, and that surrounding myself with positive people serves me well. Not to be underestimated is the power of simple things like lyrics to a song, a great quote at the right time, a story of overcoming adversity, or seeing someone work hard.

But when it all comes down to it the greatest motivation for me, comes from within. I am taken with the idea that none of us really know our own personal limits and what we can achieve. The potential of that keeps me wondering about myself.

5. What other accomplishments have you achieved outside of bootcamp this year? (i.e., Outside exercise habits or activities, nutrition habits, races, etc. )

I must admit my eating habits are decent but might not be worthy of Bootcamper of the year status so there’s a new goal for myself! I was lucky enough to complete a Spartan Race and several Tough Mudder events with some amazing PFers over the last year. By far completing these events were some of the best experiences of my life. In the last year I ran several road races with friends and most memorably the New Haven 5k with my son Jack.

6. What does being nominated for Bootcamper of the Year mean to you?

Of course it feels great to be considered by Chris and Jodi as a Bootcamper of the year nominee. Who wouldn’t like to be recognized for their efforts? And although I don’t specifically know who any of the other nominees are, I do know there are many worthy bootcampers among us. I think it’s safe to assume that I am in pretty badass company.

To be honest, responding to these questions felt a little like Tough Mudder training at times and turned out to be more difficult for me than I thought! This process has given me opportunity to reflect on what my time at PF has given back to me and share it with you. Maybe some of you will read this and in some way relate to my experiences. Many of you in your own unique ways have motivated and pushed me over the last two years, hopefully I have been able to do the same.

Lastly, I would like to thank Jodi and Chris. Their impact on me has gone well beyond the workouts and day to day training. Thank you Jodi for your encouragement and ongoing support for whatever I take on, and Chris, your “shut up and just do it” approach works for me. I couldn’t have accomplished what I have over the last two years without you. THANK YOU!

No comments: